Home Forums Creature Canteen Favorite Halloween Tradition

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Darcy Casavant Darcy Casavant 3 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dane Barthule
    Dane Barthule
    Monster Scout

I always love prepping for the holiday! Hanging lights and cobwebs and putting out my vintage inspired decor. :)

I invite friends over for a party and we play board games like Clue.

What do you do? The usual stuff or something unique?

Daniel Davis
    Daniel Davis
    Scout Administrator

In Washington we hosted a Halloween party for 13 years in a row, that was really fun.

We’d have folks “bring plastic trinkets for the Tiki God” where we put this foam head I had sculpted on the mantle, and just watched to see what weirdness folks would put up there. Mostly plastic toys, weird stuff, and occasionally something really cool. We’d rework some of that stuff to make gifts/necklaces/decorations for the next party.

We would theme each year so folks would have some idea of what they could dress up like. (We did the same thing with Keen Halloween.) Sometimes people need some ideas to get started.

Now that we’re too busy to host a party these days, we just set up the vending trike in our driveway, dress up, and hand out candy. (I of course take Goblin Boy out trick er treating, but that’s my honor to do so.)

Ron M.
    Ron Moen
    Monster Scout

I thought about putting together a “Halloween Tree” this year, and decorate it with whatever scary or macabre items I can come up with.

Dane Barthule
    Dane Barthule
    Monster Scout

The Tiki God thing is very unique and interesting. I might have to adopt some form of that and see what weird things people bring.

I really like your vending trike. It screams “Steam Crow” and keeping it kosher for Halloween. Love it!

I never really set themes for my Halloween parties. In some respect, I don’t want to limit anybody, because more often than not, my Halloween party is the only chance they’ll get to dress up for the Holiday and I don’t want to pigeon hole them into a category they may not like. But then again, I may be paranoid and they could actually rise to the challenge and be creative and have fun.

Dane Barthule
    Dane Barthule
    Monster Scout

My boyfriend and I have been wanting to do a Halloween tree for a few years now. I just want to find a perfect tree to use. XD

Ron M.
    Ron Moen
    Monster Scout

Yeah, I looked up black trees on the internet; they’re out there but you really have to look. Haven’t found the one that fits my needs yet. Maybe orange might be easier to find. I just looked up Halloween Trees, there’s a lot of good ideas out there.

Ryan Torstvet
    Skullimari

My Halloween is pretty easy going. Once I was a tad to old to trick or treat. Halloween has always been more of a family Holiday for me with Family and or friends. I really like being home to hand out candy no big parties for me most of the time.

A ongoing traditional this for us is always having this Chili my mom makes as well as Mummy Dogs.

Alot of that will change now with Bat being a bit older and her wagon being so versitial.

Ryan Torstvet
    Skullimari

For those that don’t know “Bat” is my one year old daughter.

Dane Barthule
    Dane Barthule
    Monster Scout

Sounds like a good time!

My mom still makes a point to prepare chili for Halloween. We get family and friends together with other party food.

Around that time of year, my grandparents who live out in the middle of nowhere in the AZ desert like to have family over for a bonfire, cooking hot dogs on the fire, and hay rides. :)

I love the idea of having people leave offerings to the Tiki God… I think we might have to try that this year with the “Pumpkin God”!!

(I am including links, just in case there is anyone close by who’d like to try some of these things)

Ok… so my yearly Halloween traditions are many, and they start with attending the Ghoultide Gathering art show in Chelsea, MI
    ( http://www.ghoultidegathering.com/ ) which is usually late September or early October and gets me psyched for the season!

Next, I will spend the rest of the month collecting beautiful fall leaves, then I make a cardboard flat pumpkin/jack o’ lantern, and on Halloween night we burn him in our little fire pit… an offering to the spirits of the evening.

Every week of October, I do one special, Halloween related thing.
    Around here, over in Detroit, there is an amazing Glassworks studio that has a glass pumpkin patch, and every year I go and buy one glass pumpkin ( https://www.glassacademy.com/glass-pumpkin-fest/ ) and watch them make a bunch of custom glass pumpkins for people all day long. It’s pretty awesome.

Theeeen, as long as the weather isn’t too bad, the small towns around us usually have a huge, close-down-the-streets Halloween bash on the weekends that we attend… where there are vendors and games and fun, and a bunch of people in costume.

Finally, about a week before Halloween, we go to our local Cider Mill, and take part in the corn maze, cider pressing and pumpkin picking (they have a huge pumpkin patch as well) and we always leave well fed on fresh, hot cider and fresh donuts.

I would love to hear more people’s traditions too… Halloween is always over too soon for me!!!!

I have 2 main Favorites, one Dooking for apples (big bucket of water with apples in it and you have to duck your head in and grab an apple with your teeth, harder than it looks….) and trying to pull treacle toast of the pulley (an indoor clothes airer hung from the roof) again with your teeth this time by jump up and trying to grab it.

dunno if these are uniquely Scottish or othereise?

Brandy Houghtaling
    Brandy Houghtaling
    Monster Scout

In the past, I would meet up with my high school friends and watch anime. Now I try to watch as many horror movies I can as long as I don’t have class. I also usually go to a meetup for another group I belong to on the weekend around Halloween. Last year we took a tour of the Rosson House. This year we’re having a pot luck.

Daniel Davis
    Daniel Davis
    Scout Administrator

We always called that “bobbing for apples.” I like the regional differences for the names.

Toni Morgan
    Toni Morgan
    Monster Scout

We have a Halloween Tree!!

Randi Heckadon
    Randi Heckadon
    Monster Scout

Getting the kids dressed up and honoring our ancestors are our big two. We tell stories about our loved ones and lay out gifts and treats for them. Think Dia de los Meurtos or Voodoo style. And then we go trick or treating.  We try and have a theme costume, last year was the Purge. 

Darcy Casavant
    Darcy Casavant
    Monster Scout

I decorate my office with purple pumpkins and black cats. 

I also do Boo Baskets in my office and neighborhood starting Oct 1, but there have been some party-poopers. I’m hoping that now that I’ve changed jobs, I can stir up the spirit here.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.