Home Forums Meetups SHINDIG CALI 17

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Michael Nguyen Michael Nguyen 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Susan Fox
    Susan Fox
    Monster Scout

I’ve looked up the official web page for the Dorst Creek Campground and it looks sweet. I think we may have a side trip or two on the way home; the Largest Living Trees On Earth, and the Crystal Cave. No, I don’t expect to be able to pick up sample crystals, but I need to go there anyway and feel the crystal aethir.  

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/dorst-creek-campgroundsequoia-and-kings-canyon-national-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70940

Cheers, Kitchen Witch Susan

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Susan Fox Susan Fox. Reason: Forgot to post the link to the recreation.gov web page
    Daniel Davis
    Daniel Davis
    Scout Administrator

The Crystal Caves sound cool, huh? 

Toni Morgan
    Toni Morgan
    Monster Scout

The Crystal Caves sound cool, huh?

YES!

Michael Nguyen
    Michael Nguyen
    Monster Scout

Went to Crystal Cave last year. It was awesome! The winding road and hike was well worth it. No touching the crystals as the oils from our skin is damaging to the formation. 

We’re probably heading down to Shindig a few days early to explore Kings Canyon and a few other spots we didn’t get to last year.

Michael Nguyen
    Michael Nguyen
    Monster Scout

Thought this would be pretty useful to share. There’s a free shuttle from the camp area to a few different places in the park.

Susan Fox
    Susan Fox
    Monster Scout

Now that SDCC is done and dusted, it’s time to start planning in earnest for Shindig Cali! Now, how can I get a new panel van to bring all our camping gear and kitchen set up? Because that and three people are just not going to squish into a Prius.

Michael Nguyen
    Michael Nguyen
    Monster Scout

FYI: For anyone entering from the Ash Mountain entrance, there’s road construction causing up to an hour wait. Traffic allowed to pass on the hour.

Susan Fox
    Susan Fox
    Monster Scout

I am having serious thoughts about driving to the general area the night before, getting us a motel room for the night in Visalia or thereabouts, and then setting off Friday morning from much closer to the camp. Particularly with a construction delay. Grump snarl.

Michael Nguyen
    Michael Nguyen
    Monster Scout

Thats not a bad idea. We were originally going to stay in Kings Canyon for a few days before, which would have had us on the other side of the construction. Couldn’t get the extra days off so we’ll be driving 5 hours to wait in construction traffic with you. 

As far as side adventures go, we’ll probably be geocaching and letterboxing on our way up. Possibly stop at Visitor’s Center and Hospital Rock before check in/ set up. Sometime Saturday morning, go to and hike up Moro Rock.  

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.